Wednesday 17 January 2018

Coco (Unkrich, 2018)

  I have waited the longest freakin' time for this film and let me tell you I was not dissapointed even though I had built it up for such a long time in my head. It's giving me hope that the Incredibles 2 is going to blow my mind. Ok, so unfortunately I live in England and along with the political turmoil that we seem to constanly find ourselves in we get Disney and Pixar films at least a month after America does. Coco was released in the US on Thanksgiving weekend, the UK doesn't get it until next week but luckily for me we had previews on the weekend just gone. Which made me very happy. Ok, so backstory over with time for the review.
  Coco tells the story of a boy called Miguel who loved music more than anything. However, his family hates music more than anything because of some family issues that happened generations before Miguel was born. After a fight with his family over music and Miguel wanting to pursue it as a career, he runs away and after some antics finds himself in the land of the dead. Whilst in the land of the dead he wants to find his great great grandfather, and so the real adventure begins. He makes new friends and makes some discoveries that will change his family for the better.
  Firstly, this film is so beautiful. The animation on this is just amazing. Throughout the entire film the screen is just lit up by the brightly coloured lights that cover the world of the dead. In addition to this, the petals have this gorgeous glow to them that again just lights up the screen. The spirit guides also glow, and its beutiful. This film is just a treat for your eyes. If you aren't going to see it for any other reason, you should see it just to look at it like a piece of art becuase it is.
  Next up, the voice acting by the entire cast is superb and the songs are well done in both writing and singing. The cast was so perfectly matched with the characters and really added to the film as a whole. The story was heartbreaking, and touching, and not to kiddy for a 'kids film', not that I expected it to be. There is an overarching message of be nice to your family because they only want good things for you which is a bit, I dont know the right word but it was just a bit overdone maybe? Like it just kept coming up and I got a bit bored of them constantly saying it.
I have few complaints about this film. The constant repitition of be nice to your family got a bit boring and annoying and as much as I enjoyed the songs the amount of singing in it made it feel a bit too Disney for a PIXAR film for me. But it was still enjoyable, make that point clear, they arent bad songs, it just feels wierd in a PIXAR film.
  Honestly, this film is so cute and heartwarming. It made me cry twice, damn PIXAR. It is beautifully animated, the casting is very well done and the songs are really great. It also is making a very clear stance againt POTUS's anti-mexican ideas which is great. My only issue is that it feels very Disney for PIXAR, that's it. Other than that this film is very good and I will happily go and see it again when it is officially out in the UK.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Thank you so much for reading, sorry for the all over the place posting over the last few weeks. Hopefully will get back to more regular scheduled programming after this one as all my assignments are handed in for now so I have some time to bulk write some posts for y'all.

You can find me over on these nifty web pages:

1 comment:

  1. DAPATKAN FREECHIP DAN FREEBET ! BONUS DAN CASHBACK HINGGA 10 % | WA : +6281377055002 | www.agensabungayam.co

    ReplyDelete