Sunday 7 January 2018

Yearly Round Up: Favourite Films of 2017

I watched a lot of new releases this year, it's been pretty good and the release line up for January looks like its going to be insane in 2018 from the very beginning. This isn't going to be a post just listing all of the films I watched in 2017 but it shall be a post talking about my favourite of the new releases of the year, as I want my first post of 2018 to be a positive one! Ok, let's get on with me picking my favourites out of the 22 new releases I watched this year (there is probably more that I watched on Netflix, amazon etc. but that's the number of cinema tickets I still have from the beginning of the year).

My first favourite of the year Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry. I thoroughly enjoyed the second film in this long running anime series. I managed to finish the series literally the day I went to see the film and it was so perfect as a place holder to keep the fans going until the release of the final season this year (wow, that feels weird to say). I really enjoy Fairy Tail as an anime series although I get why it wouldn't be to everyones taste but I love the characters and any extra time I get with them is time well spent to me. If you enjoyed the series and haven't seen the film yet, it is very good (better than the Phoenix Priestess in my opinion) and really adds to the series story as a whole. Much needed info for the non-manga readers is given here.
Next up is Blade Runner 2049. Let's face it, this film is pure cinematic beauty. After watching it again since my first watch I can confirm that I do prefer it to the original (please don't kill me). It's just so beautiful and the music is so perfect. The performances are so good and I really liked the story and how twisty the ending was. It surprised me, who's been a fan of the original for a years and my boyfriend who hadn't seen the first one before watching 2049 understood and really enjoyed it too.
Thor: Ragnarok is by far my favourite Marvel to date (sorry Joss). It is so stylised and fun to watch. It really calls back to how superheroes used to be when they were silly and graphic. I was getting bored of the doom and gloom of Marvel and had no interest in the doom and gloom of DC. I had no interest in seeing this film when it first came out but the more I saw of it the more I knew it would knock the first guardians off the top spot of (Disney distributed) Marvel films for me. It was beautiful past Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston, cinematically stunning and the script was so well done.
Battle of the Sexes was one I was looking forward to for the longest time. Every time I walked down the corridor at the cinema I saw that poster and said/thought 'I really need to see that when it comes out' and I did. I saw it pretty soon after the release and I thought it was really good. I didn't think that it made the lesbian relationship overly sexualised which I was scared that it would, it was actually very romantic in a really tragic way where you weren't sure whether you wanted it to work out or not. It is very much focused on Billie Jean King, her match, her career and how much of a powerful women she is. It is very empowering for female viewers, it made me feel like I really have power and can be the change I want to see in the world. Such an awe inspiring story that will pump you up.
Almost at the end now, second to last is The Disaster Artist. I know that he probably won't, but I really want James Franco to get at least one nomination for his performance in this film. His performance was absolutely insane it made the film. This film was hilarious, more so that it was all true in its insanity. The performances past James Franco were amazing, which is certainly proved by the comparison to the room whilst the credits are rolling. This film deserves so much recognition, people need to see it. If you haven't seen the room I don't think it matters all to much because you'll sit there thinking its ridiculous and then all the facts about The Room during the credits will make you spit out that Tango Ice Blast, turn to the person next to you and say "that actually happened? This film exists?", or just google it if you're on your own, you'll probably still spit out your drink though.
Finally, who could see this coming a mile away. My final favourite new release in terms of films I saw at the cinema was............. Star Wars: The Last Jedi. This was an insanely obvious one, I came out of the midnight screening and I loved it. Then when I thought about it I wasn't sure if I got lost in the haze of excitement that comes along with a packed midnight screening. I have now seen it for a second time and I can confirm that it is a bit of a mess. It's different to the others yet has its references and similarities. I think it has put this new trilogy in a good direction for the next instalment. I hate Porgs so very much, they aren't as annoying as Minions but they are pretty damn close to the level annoyance their presence causes in me. It makes me sad that Chewy is in CG and not a guy in a fur suit but I love the evil BB-8 and my love for the rebel BB-8 has just grown even more (he is the cutest droid, sorry R2). If you like Star Wars go see it, if you don't skip it. Simple as that, it's definitely for the fans not so much for the causal sci-fi goers.

Honourable mentions go to:

  • Baby Driver
  • La La Land
  • Manchester by the Sea
  • Moonlight
  • Cars 3
  • Dunkirk
  • The Death of Stalin
  • Murder on the Orient Express
  • The Man Who Invented Christmas  
These are my top picks from the year that I have seen at this point in time. There are many films coming out in the UK in January that I plan on seeing. I'm up to like ten just from browsing the coming soon and booking now section of the Cineworld app. Very excited for the film year ahead and this year of blogging to be a good one with lots of uploads and maybe a new online venture starting soon, watch this space! Thank you so much for reading and I hope you join me again next week, I upload a blog post every Sunday at 7pm UK time. 

You can find me over on these nifty web pages:


No comments:

Post a Comment