Sunday 4 February 2018

What Have You Been Watching? (January, 2018)


Oh, how I love January so many amazing films come out in hopes of getting those coveted Oscar nominations. On the other hand, I haven't been doing amazing on the TV front with work, uni, and all the amazing films that have been released that I just must see!

FILM
  • Hostiles - This film was gone so quickly I feel like I'm the only person I know that has actually seen it. I enjoyed it, I don't particularly want to go into the political stuff surrounding it because I simply don't feel like I know enough about the history and all that stuff. What I do know is that I liked it and it showed how cruel and judgemental the Cowboys were to the Natives in America. It is very much saying that the Cowboy's were the bad guys in the situation. It certainly doesn't say that the Natives were completely innocent but they aren't faceless evil like in many old westerns. Very good, I recommend watching it if you're sick of how westerns make the Natives look.
  • Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri -  I really enjoyed this film and I think it is saying something important about rape cases and how they are dealt with. However, it is problematic AF! The 'hero' at the end is very much to be made out to be the racist backward cop and I'm not cool with that. It made me feel bad for thinking that it was a good film as his redemption felt unnecessary and out of place. I think, watch it and have your own opinion because it is a good film but it has its issues. 
  • Brad's Status - I love a bit of Ben Stiller and was excited to go see this film. It's good, enjoyable and pretty funny but nothing special when considering the other things that are coming out at the moment. But it left me feeling very good about life and that I should take it as it comes and not be to put out by where I end up. 
  • Coco - I loved this film, the animation is beautiful and the songs are catchy and heartwarming at times. It has its issues but overall I loved it. For more in-depth thoughts here's my review: http://galaxysearcher.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/coco-unkrich-2018.html …
  • The Darkest Hour - This is cinematically beautiful and Gary Oldman's performance is amazing, you truly forget that it is him under that fat suit and all the prosthetics. It made someone (me) who is not very proud of being British be very proud of being British which is an accomplishment in itself. I recommend it, probably not my favorite of the month but it is very good and is not surprisingly being nominated for awards all over the place. 
  • The Post - I was kind of worried about this one, Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep in leading roles. Both of insanely good actors and I was worried their presence may fight it out a little but I was wrong. Meryl Streep leads this film with an iron fist as she shows how delicate a woman is but also how smart and brave women are. Her being one of the few women with any lines may
    have actually made this message even more clear. She was in a man's world but eventually let her voice be heard and show the men that she is braver than they ever thought she could be. A captivating performance from Streep, certainly the best thing about this film. 
  • The Greatest Showman - This one I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand, I love the
    music and thoroughly enjoyed the film. However, on the other hand, the storyline was kind of confusing in terms of who I'm supposed to be rooting for and have sympathy for. It just felt like the writer didn't like P.T. Barnum (which makes sense), and really liked the romance between Zac Efron and Zendaya's characters romance because for a secondary plot line it had a massive focus that made me want a whole film about the two of them. It just left me feeling not great about P.T. Barnum because I was just like no, give me more of their romance it's more interesting than him most likely cheating on his wife. But it was still very fun and I have been listening to the soundtrack ever since I watched it. 

TV
  • Our Love has always been 10 Centimetres Apart - This show was the cutest thing and it made me cry, is it obvious I'm overly romantic? It tells an alternate story to the anime film I've Always Loved You - Confess your Love Committee, it tells the story of a different couple out of the friendship group to the first edition of the story. It is adorable, and funny, and just super cute for lack of words to describe how much I just felt like a was watching a kawaii romance dream. This was also the only TV show I finished this month, sorry guys. 
Thank you so much for reading, a bit of a short one this month, not too rambly. I hope you enjoyed my post and feel free to let me know if you have watched any of these films and TV shows (well, show, singular). Also, let me know what you have been watching this month! 


No comments:

Post a Comment