Wednesday 21 February 2018

Black Panther (Coogler, 2017)

  I was excited for this film, they could have so easily been like 'no, black panther doesn't need his own film' but they did it an I wanna give marvel a high five for creating this film.
Basic storyline time - Black Panther is about the African nation Wakanda and what could be of Africa had we left them alone to do their own thing. Damn colonialism, messing things up. The narrative revolves around the character of T'Challa the prince that becomes king of Wakanda after the death of his father. The main issue of the narrative is getting back their vibranium from Klaue, a black market smuggler whom is responsible for killing many Wakandan's when he stole the vibranium in the first
place.
  I enjoyed this film, I had a fun time watching it and I was never bored. However, it is very much like every other Marvel movie excluding very few. It is up there in my top Marvel films but it has certainly not knocked Thor: Ragnarok off of the top spot. Every aspect of this film is well done, from acting, casting, costume, music and so many more this film combines all its elements flawlessly. But it doesn't really do anything that different to other Marvel films in terms of the narrative.
  I think that the most important and best thing about this film is that it is an entirely black cast minus a few people with more than one line. I think it is so important that everyone in this world feels represented in mainstream media and let's face it black people don't get the representation that they should. So, on that aspect, I think that this movie was well done. Although, along the same lines I wish that they spoke Wakandan more. I understand why they didn't speak it all the time when they were in Wakanda because it would affect the sellability of the movie because some people (probably a majority) don't want to read subtitles for the entire movie. I think that there were some scenes though, that would have made more sense if they spoke to each other in Wakandan because sometimes they'll be talking but only one person will speak Wakandan the entire time whilst the others speak English and it was just a little weird and jarring.
  Overall, like I said earlier I enjoyed this film. I was never bored, it was fun, I'm looking forward to infinity war. It was serious but had a lot of fun moments. Politically this film is important especially at this moment in time where racism is seemingly still running rampant all over the western world. This film does have issues, it certainly isn't perfect nor is it the best Marvel film. However, if you want a fun film to watch that will keep you entertained for a couple of hours then this will do that for you, I'm sure.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Thank you so much for reading, hopefully, you enjoyed reading this. If you have seen Black Panther then let me know what you thought about it!


You can find me over on these nifty web pages:

No comments:

Post a Comment